The Skyscraper Museum is devoted to the study of high-rise building, past, present, and future. The Museum explores tall buildings as objects of design, products of technology, sites of construction, investments in real estate, and places of work and residence. This site will look better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.
EVENING POST BUILDING
The New York Evening Post 1801-1925, 1925.
On August 31, 1926, the Evening Post ran an editorial about its recent change of address:
"This issue of the New York Evening Post-the 242nd of its 125th year-is printed in its new building on the Hudson River front at 75 West Street. Since its founding by Alexander Hamilton in 1801, the Post has had five such changes of residence. In no case have they meant that the personality of the paper itself was changed. It will not be changed today."
In 1905, the Post had moved from their 1875 building on Broadway at Fulton Street to modern quarters they erected at 20 Vesey Street, overlooking the cemetery of St. Paul's Chapel. That unusual twelve-story structure, which still stands as a designated landmark, featured an upper zone of ornament with figures sculpted by Gutzon Borglum, a Danish artist who later went on to carve the presidents' portraits on Mt. Rushmore.
In 1925, the paper's new owner Cyrus H.K.Curtis commissioned a new headquarters at 75 West Street. The architect Horace Trumbauer designed an Art Deco-style skyscraper with the setback massing required by the 1916 zoning law and brightly colored terra-cotta decorative panels. A promotional book printed by the Post described the building's appeal as a modern newspaper operation and, like their previous buildings, attractive office space for tenants:
"A 17-story structure is being erected on West Street, near the Battery and overlooking the North River. In this building will be housed a modern plant, with the best facilities in the country for newspaper publishing, and with room for great expansion. The site, covering half an acre, fronts on three streets. It offers an amount of light and air rarely found in lower New York. It is accessible, and close to the transit lines, the Stock Exchange, and Curb Market and to the great commercial districts."
The building at 75 West Street was added to the National Register of Historic Places in September 2000.